• Frequently Asked Questions:

    Opening During COVID-19

  • What are the latest plans for Castro Street?
    Click here for more details


    What are the latest Public Health Orders?
    The State issued orders on July 13. The latest County orders were issued on July 2. For more details, please see the following:


    What businesses are affected by the latest order?


    Can personal care services and fitness centers/gyms operate outdoors?

    As of July 20, some personal care services can operate outdoors. Please see new guidelines. Gyms and fitness centers may operate outdoors as long as they comply with the County’s mandatory directive for gyms and fitness facilities.


    If Santa Clara County goes off the State’s monitoring list, do our businesses still have to operate under the State’s July 13 orders?

    Yes. The businesses noted in the State’s July 13 orders must remain closed for indoor services until the State takes affirmative action, even if local data improves and the County is taken off of the monitoring list.


    How can a patron tell if a business has complied with County safety orders?

    The easiest way is to see if the business has posted a COVID-19 Prepared sign. They should also have on display a Visitor Information Sheet informing patrons of social distancing procedures. Make sure employees are wearing facemasks at all times, and that patrons are wearing facemasks indoors.

    Please click here for a full list of what a patron should see at your business


    What are the latest facemask requirements?

    As of June 18, face coverings are required when individuals are inside or in line to enter any public space. It also calls for residents to wear masks while outdoors in public spaces and within six feet of others. The requirement exempts some individuals, including children ages 2 and under and people with medical conditions that prevent them from wearing masks. It also allows people seated at a restaurant offering outdoor service not to wear masks while eating or drinking, provided that they are at least six feet away from people who are not members of the same residence.

    Complete state guidelines for the use of face coverings can be found here.


    Will temperature screening be required?

    No. However, it is strongly recommended that you educate staff on Identifying Symptoms.


    How can workers report unsafe working conditions?

    Workers can report unsafe working conditions by calling 866-870-7725. They can also email PubHealthReferral@dao.sccgov.org to report public/consumer violations.


    Are gloves required for employees?

    Gloves are helpful in the food industry, but hand washing for 20 seconds is the best way to prevent spread. Wash before donning gloves, after gloves are removed, and change out gloves frequently


    Where can we get free testing if we are not sick or first responders?

    El Camino Health now has Free COVID-19 testing available for those who live, work or go to school within the El Camino Healthcare District. Reservations are needed, but symptoms are not necessary and a doctor referral is not required. To schedule a test at El Camino Health’s Mountain View campus, call 650-940-7022, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

    For Frequently Asked Questions about El Camino's program, click here

    Mobile Testing Units are available from the County, with locations changed weekly. Free diagnostic COVID-19 testing is available to the public, with no health insurance or doctor’s note is required. No appointment needed; anyone can simply stop by to get tested. To find a nearby testing location, go to http://www.sccfreetest.org or call 2-1-1.


    Can businesses add outdoor dining if they didn’t have it before?

    Yes, but they must still get a permit from the City, which will necessitate you outlining your new floorplan and ensure liability coverage for the increased area (A Certificate of Insurance naming the City of Mountain View as Insured is required).


    You must also do the following:

    • Maintain social distancing in lines and at tables, which must be placed 6 feet apart
    • Only members of the same household can be at the same table
    • Masks are required by employees and any patrons entering an open business, even if it is outside
    • Walls and dividers are allowed indoors, but should not be used in outdoor dining as they prevent free air flow
    • Continue to offer curbside pickup, take-out and/or delivery options to reduce in-person exchanges

    Complete State Health Guidelines for Outdoor Dining can be found here.


    Can businesses serve alcohol outdoors?

    Alcohol can only be served to customers who are also ordering food. In addition, businesses are only able to serve alcohol if already permitted to do so. If the business is only approved for indoors, you will need to apply for a temporary catering permit (form ABC-218) from the County Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC).


    What do I need to do to get permitted to serve alcohol outdoors?

    First, you will need to get a permit from the City, which will necessitate you outlining your new floorplan and ensure liability coverage for the increased area (A Certificate of Insurance naming the City of Mountain View as demonstrate proof of insurance for the increased area.

    Second, you will need apply for a temporary catering permit (form ABC-218) from the County Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC).

    Note: alcohol can only be served to customers who are also ordering food.


    Can businesses serve alcohol in street seating?

    Per the instructions for form ABC-218: Pursuant to the Notice of Regulatory Relief which allows for the issuance of a COVID-19 Temporary Catering Authorization, qualified businesses may begin operating in the requested area(s) upon submission of a completed application and payment of the $100 fee. However, please note that if the application is subsequently denied you will have to cease operation in the requested area(s) and will not be entitled to a refund. If your application for a COVID-19 Temporary Catering Authorization is denied, you will be notified of the denial along with the reason(s) which resulted in its denial.


    Are food trucks considered “Outdoor Dining”?

    Yes, and they must follow city permitting


    Will bars that do not sell food be able to open?

    Take away is still allowed, but bars cannot open for seating if they do not already have an outdoor dining function


    What about restroom access?

    The City will be providing a portable restroom at the intersection of Castro and Evelyn (near the train station). Restaurants also need to make arrangements for their restrooms to be used. In both cases, this includes ensuring there is appropriate space for social distancing if there is a line.

  • New Members

  • Information